As a leading Higher Education Institution, Stenden believes that accountable and transparent governance is a prerequisite to long term success and growth. Stenden South Africa is owned by Stenden University of Applied Sciences and as such the final responsibility for decision making lies with the Executive Board of Stenden University in The Netherlands.
The Executive Board delegates its authority to the Executive Dean, Dr. Wouter Hensens, who carries responsibility for the academic performance, the day to day operations, and the strategic growth of the campus. Dr. Hensens is supported by a management team of eight Heads of Departments in the following roles:
- Juliet Chipumuro is the Academic Dean of the Hotel Management School and is responsible for the BCom Hospitality Management Degree and its minor specialisations.
- Rene Oosthuizen is the Academic Dean of the Disaster Management School and is responsible for the BBA Disaster Relief Management and its minor specialisations.
- Ronel Bartlett is the Education Support Office and Marketing Manager and overseas the administrative functions of the institution.
- Sisonke Mapuma is the General Manager of the Stenden MyPond Hotel where Stenden BCom Hospitality students are exposed to a Real-World Learning Environment.
- Mzameli Dikeni is the Community Development Manager and oversees Stenden’s efforts to unleash potential in its surrounding community through a focus on Education, Entrepreneurship and Food Security.
- Bongani Bavuma is the Facilities Manager and carries responsibility for the physical campus environment, the student residences, and the health and safety practices of the institution.
- Dayallan Naidoo is the Catering Manager and is responsible for ensuring healthy, nutritious and tasty food to our student community.
- Michael Mpalala is the Security Manager and leads the campus security ensuring a safe and pleasant environment.
Board of Governors
The performance and strategies of the management team are presented first to the Board of Governors. This is effectively a business advisory board that provides local context and representation to strategic decisions and monitors good governance. The advise of the Board of Governance on strategic decisions weighs strongly to the final decisions made by the Executive Board of Stenden University.
- Mr. Adrian Gardiner is the chairman of the Board of Governors and a staunch supporter of Stenden South Africa since its establishment in 2001. Mr. Gardiner is the founder of Shamwari Game Reserve and the chairman of the Mantis Collection.
- Mrs. Louise Swanepoel is the former owner of the Grand Hotel which houses the Stenden South Africa campus. Mrs. Swanepoel is a retired town counsellor and community representative and has served on the Stenden South Africa Board of Governors since its inception.
- Dr. Renier Mornet is the chairman of the Stenden Hotel Management School Academic Advisory Board since 2002. Dr. Mornet is the retired Dean of the Hotel School of Witwatersrand where a served for many years and educated many of the senior managers in South Africa’s hotel industry today.
- Mr. Chumani Gqeke is the provincial organiser for SAMWU and has served on the Board of Governors since 2012.
- Mr. Leendert Klaassen is the President of the Executive Board of Stenden University of Applied Sciences.
- Mr. Wayne Johnson is the Head of Sites of Stenden University of Applied Sciences and responsible for the internationalisation at Stenden.
- Professor Dewald van Niekerk is the chairman of the Stenden Disaster Management School Academic Advisory Board since 2014. He is the Director of the African Centre of Disaster Studies at Northwest University in Potchefstroom.
- Ms. Thembi Kunene is the Tourism Services Executive for Cape Town Tourism and former CEO of the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa. She has served on the board since 2015.
Academic Advisory Boards
To ensure that our programs meet the needs of today’s industry, Stenden South Africa has academic advisory boards for each of its programs. Members on these boards provide leading academics and practitioners in the respective fields. Meetings are hosted twice annually and are attended by a minimum of two SRC members as well.
The Stenden Hotel Management School Academic Advisory Board consist of the following members:
- Reinier Mornet – Retired Dean, Hotel School of Witwatersrand
- Eduard van Zyl – General Manager, Courtyard Hotel Port Elizabeth
- Clive van Oudtshoorn – Operations Manager, Mantis Hospitality
- Gavin Chowles – General Manager, Angelic Wonders Port Elizabeth
- Pierre Wilhelm – Provincial Master Assessor, Eastern and Northern Cape
- Jacques Lombard – General Manager, The Beach Hotel, Port Elizabeth
- Ashleigh Christie – Human Capital Manager, Hospitality Property Fund
- Ian Mackay – General Manager, Garden Court, East London
- Jabu Maseko – Acting General Manager, Fish River Sun Hotel
- Desmond O’Connor – General Manager, RadissonBlu, Port Elizabeth
- Carl Haller – Development Manager, Mantis
- Clifford Campbell – General Manager, Tsogo Sun, Port Elizabeth
- Hema Kesa – Academic Head, Department of Hospitality Management, University of Johannesburg
- Hellen Mabasa – Human Resource Director, Africa and Indian Ocean, Hilton Group
- Chris Alexandre – Chief Executive Officer, GuestRevu
- Henk Bredenoord – Regional Manager, Premier Hotels
- Guy Stehlik – Chief Executive, Bon Hotels
- Marcel Von Aulock – former CEO, Tsogo Sun Hotels
- Klaas Wybo van der Hoek – Vice President, Stenden University
- Craig Thompson – Dean IHM, Stenden University
- Juliet Chipumuro – Academic Dean, School of Hospitality Mangement, SSA
The Stenden School of Disaster Management Academic Advisory Board consists of the following members:
- Dewald Van Niekerk – Director, African Center for Disaster Studies (ACDS), University of the North West
- Dodo Shupping – Co-Ordinator, Cacadu District Municipality
- Andries Jordaan – Director, Disaster Management Training and Education Centre for Africa (DIMTEC), University of the Free State
- Mmaphaka Tau – Chief Director, Natural Resources Management, Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Col. Elton Stone – Officer Commanding First City Regiment, Grahamstown
- Hugh Van Niekerk – Manager, South African Weather Service, Port Elizabeth
- Owen Becker – Manager, Disaster Management, Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality
- Henry Lansdowne – Manager, NMMM Disaster Centre, Port Elizabeth
- Mervyn Sauls – Manager Fire and Emergency Services, Ndlambe Municipality
- Roman Tandlich – Senior Lecturer Faculty of Pharmacy, Rodes University, Grahamstown
- Khulekile Mbolekwa – Disaster Manager, Ndlambe Municipality
- Sipho Tandani – Former Mayor of Ndlambe Municipality
- Rene Oosthuizen – Academic Dean, School of Disaster Management, SSA
The Exam Committee is responsible for the integrity of our curricula. Their autonomous decision making covers the selection of students, recognition of prior learning, examination, graduation and any deviations from the exam regulations as published in our prospectus. It comprises three members of faculty:
- Kevin Aitchison – Chairperson
- Nelisa Tokwe – Secretary
- Ms. Tracey Painting – Member